Sunday, September 29, 2013

EDLD 5326 Week 5 Action Research Update


The purpose of my action research project is to find effective researched based activities for 1st grade that will increase fluency and comprehension and determine if implementing these activities improve student performance on the end of the year (EOY) Texas Primary Reading Inventory (TPRI).  Being that we have only been in school for 5 weeks and this project will span the entire school year, I have not gotten into the meat of the project.  I have however, kept on schedule as per my action planning template.  To start off the project, I took the TPRI scores from the EOY Kinder students and determined the percentage that were still developing on listening comprehension.  I compiled a list of these students noting which teacher they will have for 1st grade.  We used this information as a beginning of the year guide to place the students in tutorials and small group reading.  During the 1st week of school I was also able to meet with the first grade teachers to explain my research inquiry.  They were all very receptive to the project and have been very accommodating.  At this point we have just finished administering the beginning of the year TPRI and I am gathering the data from the teachers to begin analyzing the scores.  This week I will get the scores analyzed and once I have it all done I will meet with the teachers again and we will pick 3 students from each class that I will chart and follow throughout the year.  Outside of school, I have been researching instructional activities that we will begin implementing by the middle of October.  In the next 2 weeks I will work with the teachers to model the activities that we will be implementing and the teachers will begin using the activities in their literacy stations as well as small group reading. 

No comments:

Post a Comment